July 2, 2010

Artist Statement



Artist Statement
I am interested in discovering what makes painting interesting and continuing that exploration through other media. Paint itself has many qualities that I think we lose when trying too hard to shape it or ask it to depict a particular image. Through dissecting paint down to its core, we are able to see it’s more dramatic side. It can be soft and flowing, barely there; or thick, strong and dense. I think it’s one of the materials that can dance to any rhythm, glide on any surface, share its true emotions and pull the viewer in to a world that is new and fresh with every glare. It can be mesmerizing, hypnotic and seductive. I wanted to explore these particular attributes through photography and video to bring paint to life, in its true form.
Within the context of Conceptual Art, I hope my viewers are able to get a sense of their own relationship with the materials experienced through a different manner than usual. Each person will have a different reaction to the colors used, amount of studies as well as different media, photography and video. This is a personal reaction that I hope each person can take away with them to view things down to a more simple form, to understand the core of something, anything, and find beauty in purity, simplicity and the experience itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment